One person has been caught without a seatbelt almost every hour during a three-day road safety blitz – the risky behaviour slammed by senior police as the state’s road toll continues to rise.
The sickening results – recorded during Operation Belt Up until Wednesday night – have doubled since the last targeted campaign in July.
More than 120 drivers were caught without a seatbelt, compared to about 60 in the previous operation which was conducted over a weekend.
Officer in charge of Traffic Support Branch, Superintendent Bob Gray, said unbuckled drivers were dicing with death.
“We know that failure to wear a seatbelt is one of the leading causes of death and serious injury in motor vehicle collisions,” he said.
“Passengers are ten times more likely to be killed in a crash if they’re not wearing a seatbelt, and yet people are still failing to belt up.
This year’s road toll now stands at 80 compared to 50 at the same time last year.
Supt Gray said it was up to the community to change this bad behaviour.
“Not wearing a seatbelt as a driver or a passenger puts your life at risk; it’s a simple as that.” he said.
Under law, a driver who fails to wear a seatbelt that is properly adjusted and fastened faces a $441 fine plus three demerit points.
Date: September 14, 2019